Connect with us

Sports

Exclusive: Stacjic to make painful cuts as Filipinas pool balloons – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

Coach Alen Stajcic (center) answers questions during the presscon together with (from left) goalkeeper Inna Palacios, team manager Jefferson Cheng, defender Hali Long and U-20 head coach Nahuel Arrarte

#Stacjic #painful #cuts #Filipinas #pool #balloons

Coach Alen Stajcic (center) answers questions during the presscon together with (from left) goalkeeper Inna Palacios, team manager Jefferson Cheng, defender Hali Long and U-20 head coach Nahuel Arrarte

Coach Alen Stajcic (center) answers questions during the presscon together with (from left) goalkeeper Inna Palacios, team manager Jefferson Cheng, defender Hali Long and U-20 head coach Nahuel Arrarte. —FRANCIS T.J. OCHOA

Coach Alen Stajcic sees the next weeks and months leading up to the Philippine women’s football team’s historic participation in the Fifa (International Federation of Association Football) Women’s World Cup as both exciting and challenging, particularly with the responsibility of having to deal with one big dilemma.

“We now have a pool of about 30 to 35 players,” Stajcic said on Wednesday when the Filipinas held a late afternoon press conference at Acacia Hotel in Alabang, Muntinlupa City.

“And the toughest part of this journey is gonna be that 10 to 12 players who have been with the squad, and have been a part of the regular squad are not gonna be selected for the World Cup.”

But it seems that Stajcic has a good problem in hand, with the number of talent he has and big tournaments in line before heading to New Zealand for the global showpiece of women’s football.

“It’s an exciting time, but it’s also gonna be a challenging time for the staff and the players, to get the best out of themselves for the upcoming World Cup, which is by far the biggest occasion in football,” he said.

February will be the start of the busy road the Filipinas will take, first with matches against three countries from the United Kingdom—Wales, Ireland and Scotland—in the Pinatar Cup in Spain followed by the opening round of the 2024 Paris Olympic qualifiers opposite inferior sides Pakistan, Tajikistan and Hong Kong.

Immediate target

And then the Filipinas will attempt to make history in the month of May, hoping to secure a first gold in the Cambodia Southeast Asian Games where they are seen as favorites after defeating Vietnam and Thailand on their way to winning last year’s Asean Football Federation Women’s Championship.

During that process, Stajcic expects challenges within the squad in hopes of getting a crack to see action in July’s World Cup, which will pit the Philippines against co-host New Zealand, Norway and Switzerland.

Advertisement

“We’re getting to that stage where they’re gonna push each other for [those roster] spots,” Stajcic said. “To me, that’s the central quality of the team, to push each other together, to be able to push each other in training, and compete against each other. Ultimately, we’ll find the same qualities and I think that’s another massive factor in this team, that we have got to a point where there’s 30 players.

“I think we’ve seen during the course of the year, regardless of who’s playing, you’ll see the same mentality, the same philosophy, the same motivation and drive from the players and, to a certain extent, the level of performance. I’m really proud that we’ve got to that level,” he added.

Your weekly sports analysis

Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Sports

Exclusive: European giant could make offer for Newcastle ace in the coming hours – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

European giant could make offer for Newcastle ace in the coming hours

#European #giant #offer #Newcastle #ace #coming #hours

Newcastle United could reportedly be braced for a bid for one of their big-name players.

According to reports in France, Magpies ace Allan Saint-Maximin has emerged as a transfer target for AC Milan, with the Serie A giants holding initial talks with the player’s entourage.

And now a bid could be imminent, according to breaking reports emerging this afternoon, with Milan clearly keen to firm up their interest in Saint-Maximin amid his difficult situation under Eddie Howe at St James’ Park.

The Frenchman has fallen out of favour in recent times, despite showing glimpses of some real talent during his time in the Premier League.

Advertisement

It could now be wise for Newcastle to let the player go as they enter into advanced talks over a potential replacement.

Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: New pro cycling team aims to actively represent PH in overseas races – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

THE Victoria Sports Pro Cycling Team is presented before the media and the public during its launch Saturday at the Victoria Sports Tower in Quezon City. (From left) Jay Oconer, Jerry Aquino, Marcio Barbosa, Pedro Paulinho, Andrei Cardoso, Jose Mendes, Daniel Carino, Pako Ochoa, Ean Cajucom, Luis Krog, Kelvin Mendoza,  Micael Isidoro (Sports Director), Jobert Catina (Rider Care and Mechanic), and  Rayzon Galdonez (Asst. Sports Director). –CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

#pro #cycling #team #aims #actively #represent #overseas #races

THE Victoria Sports Pro Cycling Team is presented before the media and the public during its launch Saturday at the Victoria Sports Tower in Quezon City. (From left) Jay Oconer, Jerry Aquino, Marcio Barbosa, Pedro Paulinho, Andrei Cardoso, Jose Mendes, Daniel Carino, Pako Ochoa, Ean Cajucom, Luis Krog, Kelvin Mendoza,  Micael Isidoro (Sports Director), Jobert Catina (Rider Care and Mechanic), and  Rayzon Galdonez (Asst. Sports Director). –CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

THE Victoria Sports Pro Cycling Team is presented before the media and the public during its launch Saturday at Victoria Sports Tower in Quezon City. . –CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines–Looking to make its mark on both local and international stages,  Victoria Sports Cycling Team plans on being an active competitor in major cycling tournaments here and abroad.

Team representative Pako Ochoa said the country’s newest pro cycling team “aims to be the first Philippine team to regularly and actively represent the country in major international cycling tournaments in Asia and countries around the world.”

VSCT–which is bolstered by veteran Portuguese professional cyclists–was officially launched over the weekend with a press conference at Victoria Sports Tower followed by a community ride in Quezon Memorial Circle the day after.

“It is an exciting time for Philippine sports. Our country won its first gold medal in the Olympics two years ago, and this year the country will be represented in both the Fifa Women’s World Cup and the Fiba Basketball World Cup,” said Ochoa.

“We are slowly showing the world that Filipino athletes can be competitive in international sporting competitions, and we will set out to prove that Filipinos have what it takes to excel in cycling as well.”

VSCT is composed of riders Jhay Oconer, Kelvin Mendoza, Márcio Barbosa, Luis Krog, Pedro Paulinho, Ochoa, Ean Cajucom, José Mendes, Daniel Cariño, Jerry Aquino, and André Cardoso.

Mendez is a former World Tour Rider for Bora-Hansgrohe and a two-time national road champion of Portugal while Cardoso is a former World Tour rider for Trek Segafredo.

But competing in  Union Cycliste Internationale races is not the team’s only goal as it also aims to help with “the meteoric rise of the popularity of biking in the Philippines.”

Advertisement

“We are extremely grateful to all the companies that share our vision,” said Ochoa, “[We] also believe that we can go beyond making cycling more popular–that we can raise the level of cycling and make it a part of our culture, as it is in other parts of the world where the needs and rights of bikers are embraced and respected.” -Celest Flores-Colina

RELATED STORIES

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: Bal David resigns as UST head coach after just one season – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

FILE–UST head coach Bal David.

#Bal #David #resigns #UST #coach #season

FILE–UST head coach Bal David.

FILE–UST head coach Bal David. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines — Bal David has stepped down as head coach of University of Santo Tomas men’s basketball team, according to multiple reports.

The Varsitarian, the school’s official student publication, reported on Wednesday that David has tendered his resignation after just one season with the Growling Tigers.

UST’s organ also wrote that assistant coach Rodney Santos will stay as part of the coaching staff.

In David’s first year, UST won its opening game against Adamson but lost 13 straight games, reeling to the bottom of the standings of the UAAP Season 85 men’s basketball tournament. 

The former PBA star, dubbed “The Flash”, took the coaching reins last July, two months before Season 85.

David, who was part of UST’s back-to-back title runs in 1993 and 94 UAAP seasons under the late Tigers coach Aric del Rosario, only lasted with the Tigers for six months.

After their final game last year, the former Ginebra cager took the blame for their last-place finish and told his players that no one will quit.

Advertisement

“We had a lot of struggles but I kept telling the kids not to quit. Struggles after struggles, so we have to be in the same direction. No one will quit, no one will give up,” David said in Filipino during the post-game.

He even added that UST won’t have a major revamp and he still prefers the “old school” way of recruiting.

The Tigers will have a different coach for the third straight season, following David’s sudden resignation.

UST had two different coaches in one year with Jinino Manansala taking charge in Season 84 after the infamous “Sorsogon bubble” fiasco that resulted in the exodus of key players and Aldin Ayo’s indefinite ban from coaching in the league.

RELATED STORIES

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Continue Reading

Exclusive

Copyright © 2022 Talk Of News.