Connect with us

Sports

Exclusive: Raducanu under pressure to deliver at Wimbledon – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

Emma Raducanu

#Raducanu #pressure #deliver #Wimbledon

Emma Raducanu

Britain’s Emma Raducanu reacts after winning against Czech’s Linda Noskova at the end of their women’s singles match on day two of the Roland-Garros Open tennis tournament at the Court Simonne-Mathieu in Paris on May 23, 2022. (Photo by Anne-Christine POUJOULAT / AFP)

Emma Raducanu is poised for a return to the grass of Wimbledon next week as a Grand Slam winnerunder pressure to end Britain’s 45-year-wait for a women’s singles champion.

The teenager caught the eye during her run to the last 16 at the All England Club 12 months ago before withdrawing from her match against Australian Ajla Tomljanovic because of breathing difficulties.

But her Wimbledon debut merely proved the prelude to an astonishing triumph at the US Open in early September, where she beat Leylah Fernandez in the final.

Raducanu, a qualifier, did not drop a set at Flushing Meadows, becoming the first British female player to win a Grand Slam singles crown since Virginia Wade at Wimbledon in 1977.

That victory propelled her to global stardom, with endorsement deals stacking up as she cashed in on her stunning success in New York.

It has not all been plain sailing for the 19-year-old, currently ranked 11th in the world, who has not won more than two matches at a tournament since.

Raducanu has come under scrutiny over her failure to settle on a long-term coach and has also struggled with fitness issues, as well as having a bout of coronavirus.

But despite her early exits at the Australian Open and French Open, the pressure at her home Grand Slam is bound to be intense.

Advertisement

Andy Murray ended Britain’s 77-year wait for a Wimbledon men’s champion in 2013, repeating the feat three years later.

45-year wait

But Wade’s triumph at Wimbledon in Queen Elizabeth II’s Silver Jubilee year remains the last time a British woman has won at the All England Club.

Raducanu’s Wimbledon preparations suffered a blow when she was forced to retire from her first-round match in Nottingham against Viktorija Golubic earlier this month.

The British number one, who is listed as the 10th seed at Wimbledon, subsequently pulled out of the WTA event in Birmingham and did not appear in Eastbourne.

That leaves her with less than a set of grass-court tennis under her belt before Wimbledon.

Raducanu sparked more fears around her recovery from a side strain when she pulled out of a scheduled second practice session with Garbine Muguruza on Friday.

Earlier this month she admitted she had done things “backward” by winning a Grand Slam so early in her career as she settles into life as a full-time professional.

“For that to happen very soon definitely comes with a lot of challenges,” she said.

“But managing, learning and growing through the adversities that I have faced, I would much rather have that, learn from those experiences and keep building and progressing.”

Retired British player Tim Henman, who sat courtside during Raducanu’s run to the US Open title, has been advising her on how to cope with being the home star at Wimbledon.

“What’s being said in the newspapers or on social media or television, you can’t control it so why worry about it?” said the former Wimbledon semifinalist.

Advertisement

“When you’re young and you haven’t had the experience, that’s not always easy but, when I think of her mental fortitude with the way that she played in New York going through those 10 matches, she’s incredibly strong mentally,” he told the PA news agency.

“Her tennis ability is there for everyone to see. The challenge for her is to build up this physical robustness. But she’s 19, she’s got so many opportunities ahead of her.”

World number four Paula Badosa has urged British fans to turn down the pressure on Raducanu, backing her to adjust to life on the WTA Tour.

“She needs time and she needs more experience on tour and she will get it. People have to stop putting all this pressure on her and expectations,” she said.

“What she did is play very well at one Grand Slam and she won it, so you can see how good she is.”

RELATED STORIES

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox


Read Next

Advertisement

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Advertisement

Sports

Exclusive: Panthers Sign Kicker Eddy Piñeiro After Injury To Zane Gonzalez – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

Eddy Pineiro USATSI 13849222

#Panthers #Sign #Kicker #Eddy #Piñeiro #Injury #Zane #Gonzalez



Panthers Sign Kicker Eddy Piñeiro After Injury To Zane Gonzalez
























Advertisement



Home News panthers sign kicker eddy pineiro after injury to zane gonzalez
Advertisement









Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: Grundy urged to make 'ridiculous' move for Pies – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

#Grundy #urged #039ridiculous039 #move #Pies

Collingwood star Brodie Grundy has been urged to renegotiate his monster contract if he wants to remain at the club beyond this season.

Grundy has been left in an awkward position this year, sidelined with a knee injury at first before suffering an ankle injury in his comeback attempt which ended his season as the Magpies rocketed up the ladder into the top four.

Despite the 28-year-old being signed through until the end of the 2027 season, his name has consistently been thrown up in trade rumours, with the club reportedly keen to offload his hefty seven-year, $7 million deal signed at the end of 2019.

READ MORE: Nadal fumes at ‘joke’ accusation from McEnroe

READ MORE: Wayne Bennett’s former club blindsided by player raid

READ MORE: Chilling backstory to Aussie star’s UFC quest

Grundy is understood to be keen on remaining at Collingwood where he shares close ties with a number of teammates. But according to The Age’s Caroline Wilson, to stay a Magpie, he will have to sacrifice.

“If he really wants to stay at Collingwood, he’s narrowed his options, he’s got to take a pay cut. They’ve got to sit down, the two parties,” she told Nine’s Footy Classified.

“I know they offered him a ridiculous amount of money at the time, and at the time it seemed worth it, but both parties have to come to the table here.

“He hasn’t been able to deliver on the money.”

Advertisement

Wilson’s suggestion was rubbished by The Age’s Sam McClure.

Footy Classified is now available as a podcast! Subscribe/follow via Apple, Spotify or Google Podcasts

“That’s ridiculous, Caro,” he said in response.

“Why would Brodie Grundy walk away from one cent of the money that he was promised because Collingwood mismanaged the salary cap?”

McClure was backed up by Essendon great Matthew Lloyd, who said Grundy would either remain at Collingwood or play at another club for the “full amount” of his deal rather than taking a pay cut.

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here

Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: Exclusive: Fabrizio Romano rules out two players as Liverpool’s midfielder search enters key stage – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

Exclusive: Fabrizio Romano rules out two players as Liverpool’s midfielder search enters key stage

#Exclusive #Fabrizio #Romano #rules #players #Liverpools #midfielder #search #enters #key #stage

Liverpool are struggling with injuries, particularly to senior midfielders and that has prompted Jurgen Klopp to reassess his summer transfer business.

Thiago, Curtis Jones, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are all sidelined through injury and that has forced the Reds to make a major transfer U-turn.

Despite being adamant his side does not need to delve back into the transfer market in search of a new midfielder, Klopp recently admitted he has changed his mind.

“We are looking for it,” Klopp told reporters, as quoted by the Daily Mail.

“If it is the right player, we need him. If it is not the right player, we don’t need him.”

However, given the fact the summer window closes in just over 24 hours, Liverpool are facing a race against time when it comes to the possibility of adding a new player to their squad.

MORE: Ronaldo begged Man United to drop underperforming star

Providing an update on the club’s efforts, leading transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, who writes exclusively for CaughtOffside via Substack, said: “The club do not want to sign just any player for the sake of it, so they are still putting in a lot of work trying to identify the right kind of player.

“However, even though they’re continuing to do their research, at the moment, there are no easy options.”

Two players who have been heavily linked with moves to Anfield have been RB Leipzig’s Konrad Laimer and Inter Milan’s Nicolo Barella, but Romano has now ruled out deals for both midfielders.

“Konrad Laimer was appreciated but RB Leipzig will not let him leave now, so Liverpool will have to explore other names from now until tomorrow night’s deadline,” the Italian added.

“I know a lot of you want to know if Inter Milan’s Nicolo Barella is an option, but unfortunately, he is not. There is no chance for the Italian to move to Anfield this summer.”

Do you think Liverpool can make a midfield signing in time? – Let us know in the comments.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Exclusive

Copyright © 2022 Talk Of News.