Connect with us

Sports

Exclusive: US judge dismisses Cristiano Ronaldo rape lawsuit in Las Vegas—report

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo

#judge #dismisses #Cristiano #Ronaldo #rape #lawsuit #Las #Vegasreport

Cristiano Ronaldo

Soccer Football – UEFA Nations League – Group B – Spain v Portugal – Estadio Benito Villamarin, Seville, Spain – June 2, 2022 Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo reacts REUTERS/Marcelo Del Pozo

A US judge has dismissed the Las Vegas rape lawsuit against Manchester United and Portugal football player Cristiano Ronaldo, Britain’s Sky News reported on Saturday.

The ruling comes nearly three years after prosecutors said Ronaldo would face no charges in Las Vegas in connection with a 10-year-old sexual assault allegation because the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit in September 2018 in state court in Nevada accusing Ronaldo of raping her in a Las Vegas hotel penthouse suite in 2009, then paying her $375,000 in hush money.

Ronaldo, who plays for Premier League club Manchester United, has maintained he is innocent.

U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey kicked the case out of court on Friday over the way documents were obtained.

The judge said that dismissing a case outright with no option to file it again is a severe sanction, but that Ronaldo had been harmed by the conduct of the woman’s lawyer, Leslie Mark Stovall.

“I find that the procurement and continued use of these documents was bad faith,” the judge said in her ruling.

“Simply disqualifying Stovall will not cure the prejudice to Ronaldo because the misappropriated documents and their confidential contents have been woven into the very fabric of (the plaintiff’s) claims.

Advertisement

“Harsh sanctions are merited.”

Reuters has contacted Stovall for comment.

RELATED STORIES

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox


Read Next

Advertisement

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Sports

Exclusive: Kyrgios laughs off wardrobe questions after win – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

#Kyrgios #laughs #wardrobe #questions #win

Nick Kyrgios has laughed off questions regarding his on-court attire, as he opted to change his shoes and hat before taking a post-match interview following his gutsy performance in the fourth round.

Kyrgios’ detractors were desperate for something, anything, to take the shine off his impressive five-set win, where he battled a shoulder ailment throughout, receiving treatment several times.

But if his win over Stefanos Tsitsipas was a ‘circus’, as the vanquished Greek proposed it was, this was anything but.

READ MORE: Kyrgios lifts lid on move that baffled legend

READ MORE: De Minaur crashes out of Wimbledon in classic

READ MORE: Aussie’s incredible round of 16 comeback

READ MORE: No dream Nadal match-up for Kubler after loss

Save for a couple of words with the chair umpire late in the contest, Kyrgios was focused, and almost reserved at times.

Few sports stars are as polarising – and when Kyrgios switched his hat and shoes for a red Jordan brand cap and some matching sneakers, it gave his critics – of which there were fewer than his last match, for obvious reasons – the ammunition they needed.

Advertisement

Kyrgios books ticket to quarters

On commentary, Aussie legend Todd Woodbridge said that his countryman “might receive a letter in his locker” about the hat and shoe change.

The 27-year-old’s post-win press conference was nothing like the combative environment that it was two days ago, right until the very end.

A reporter posed the idea that Kyrgios invites his own controversy, including an open flaunting of clear wardrobe rules.

“Why then would you walk on to centre court with bright red trainers on and do an interview in a red cap?” Kyrgios was asked.

The reply was typically Kyrgios.

“Because I do what I want,” he responded, before being pressed on whether or not he thought he was above the rules.

“No. I’m not above the rules. I just like wearing my Jordans.”

The line of questioning continued despite a moderator’s attempted intervention, when Kyrgios was quick to correct the journalist that he hadn’t ‘moaned’ about controversy.

“I haven’t moaned. I love it,” he said.

“Yeah, it’s just more attention for me. What’s that saying? Any publicity is good publicity, right?

“Keep doing you then champion,” he said to the question asker before moving on.

Kyrgios will get a day off before facing Chile’s Cristian Garin for a spot in the final four.

Advertisement

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: The squad regroups – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

The squad regroups

#squad #regroups

Erik ten Hag was afforded a first opportunity to work with a number of returning Reds at Carrington on Monday.

Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: De Minaur bundled out of Wimbledon in classic – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

#Minaur #bundled #Wimbledon #classic

Cristian Garin came from two sets down and saved two match points in the fifth before beating Alex de Minaur to reach his first grand slam quarter-final at Wimbledon.

The unseeded Chilean trailed 5-3 in the first-to-10 fifth-set tiebreaker before winning six straight points to take a 9-5 lead.

He then converted his second match point to advance 2-6, 5-7, 7-6 (3), 6-4, 7-6 (6) on Court No.2 after four hours and 34 minutes.

LIVE UPDATES: Kyrgios holding lead over American young gun

READ MORE: Tennis icon’s savage roast for ‘cheating’ Kyrgios

READ MORE: Kyrgios and Tsitsipas both fined after insane Wimbledon clash

Garin is the first Chilean man to reach a Grand Slam quarterfinal since Fernando Gonzales in 2009.

The 19th-seeded de Minaur had never lost a set against Garin in three previous meetings and looked set to maintain that streak when he led 3-1 in the third-set tiebreaker. The Australian then held two match points at 5-4 in the fifth.

MORE TO COME

Advertisement

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Continue Reading

Exclusive

Copyright © 2022 Talk Of News.