Connect with us

Sports

Exclusive: Tyson Fury in talks to face winner of Joshua-Usyk rematch–report

Published

on

FILE PHOTO: Boxing - Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte - WBC World Heavyweight Title - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - April 23, 2022  Tyson Fury celebrates winning his fight against Dillian Whyte Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge

#Tyson #Fury #talks #face #winner #JoshuaUsyk #rematchreport

FILE PHOTO: Boxing - Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte - WBC World Heavyweight Title - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - April 23, 2022  Tyson Fury celebrates winning his fight against Dillian Whyte Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge

FILE PHOTO: Boxing – Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte – WBC World Heavyweight Title – Wembley Stadium, London, Britain – April 23, 2022 Tyson Fury celebrates winning his fight against Dillian Whyte Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge

WBC heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury is in talks to face the winner of Anthony Joshua’s rematch against Oleksandr Usyk despite having repeatedly spoken of hanging up his gloves, the Daily Mail newspaper reported.

Fury knocked out fellow Briton Dillian Whyte in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley Stadium in April to retain his heavyweight crown, telling fans afterwards it was unlikely he would fight again.

His wife, Paris, later told BT Sport that he would return only for a title unification bout.

Usyk beat Joshua at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September last year to seize the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told the BBC that Joshua had signed his contract to fight Usyk in a re-match in Saudi Arabia in August, with a formal announcement expected next week.

The bout has been delayed several times after Usyk returned home to Ukraine to join a territorial defense battalion following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which Moscow calls a “special military operation”.

“(Joshua) understands that in a fight of this magnitude, things do take time. It’s taken time but we’re in a great place. He’s been training throughout, so has Oleksandr Usyk,” Hearn said on Saturday.

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox


Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

Advertisement

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Sports

Exclusive: Galtier to end PSG´s rotation of Donnarumma and Navas – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

Flamengo part company with former Poland boss Sousa

#Galtier #PSGs #rotation #Donnarumma #Navas

New Paris Saint-Germain coach Christophe Galtier has pledged to end predecessor Mauricio Pochettino’s practice of rotating between goalkeepers Gianluigi Donnarumma and Keylor Navas. 

Galtier was announced as PSG’s new head coach on Tuesday, with the former Lille and Nice boss signing a two-year deal with the club.

The man who beat PSG to the Ligue 1 title when in charge of Lille during the 2020-21 season takes over a squad containing two world-class goalkeepers in Italy’s Euro 2020 hero Donnarumma and three-time Champions League winner Navas.

Pochettino used both goalkeepers often during his one full season in charge of the Parisian giants, with Navas making 26 appearances in all competitions and Donnarumma featuring 24 times.

Donnarumma managed one clean sheet more (nine) than Navas did (eight) despite making two appearances fewer, while the two goalkeepers posted similar save percentage figures (Navas saving 75.76 per cent of shots faced compared to the Italian’s 75.27 per cent).

Speaking at his unveiling, Galtier argued having a nominated first-choice shot stopper would provide greater clarity.

“I always work with a number one and a number two,” he said. 

“It’s easier for me and for them to know their position within the squad. I haven’t met them yet, but I will do it very quickly.”

PSG conceded 36 goals when winning Ligue 1 last season, the joint-fewest in the league alongside Galtier’s former club Nice, who registered one more clean sheet (14) than the champions.  

Advertisement


Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: Records tumble as Root leads insane run chase – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

#Records #tumble #Root #leads #insane #run #chase

A pair of unbeaten fourth-innings centuries to Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow has led England to a record-breaking run chase in the fifth Test against India.

Root (142 not out) and Bairstow (114 not out) combined for an unbeaten 269-run stand as England chased down a total of 378 with just three wickets down to tie the five-match series at two games apiece.

Root and Bairstow’s unbeaten 269 was the fourth-highest in the fourth innings of a Test match and the second-highest unbeaten fourth-innings stand since Gordon Greenidge and Larry Gomes.

READ MORE: Kyrgios laughs off wardrobe questions after win

READ MORE: Aussie Ajla Tomljanovic’s incredible Wimbledon comeback

READ MORE: ‘Pedantic’ NRL referees grilled as Raiders fume

In chasing down 378, England smashed its old record chase, the famous 359 it ran down against Australia in the 2019 Ashes when Ben Stokes single-handedly rescued a victory from the jaws of defeat at Headingley.

It was a bitter pill to swallow for India, who had looked poised to win the series for the majority of the Test. It was the first time India had failed to defend a total of over 350 in its Test history.

The chase was England’s fourth in excess of 250 in 2022, having run down totals of 279, 299 and 296 against New Zealand in a three-Test series last month.

All four chases have come since England appointed former New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum as its Test coach after disastrous tours of Australia and the West Indies, with the team’s aggressive approach mirroring that of their Kiwi coach during his playing days.

Advertisement

Bairstow was named the Player of the Match for his remarkable twin centuries, with the right-hander having scored 589 runs off 578 balls at an average of 196 in his last five Test innings.

“It’s about having the enjoyment factor, not afraid of failing, putting the pressure back on the opposition,” Bairstow said of the team’s fresh mindset under McCullum.

Kohli’s raucous celebration after big run out

“We’re going to lose games along the way, but the positive brand is fun to play.”

“It’s down to the players, making my job easier,” England’s Test skipper Stokes said.

“When you have clarity like we do in the dressing room it makes totals like that easier. 378 five weeks ago would have been scary, but it’s all good.

“We are trying to rewrite how Test cricket is being played, in England in particular.

“We know that we want to give new life to Test cricket, and the support that we’ve had has been incredible. We are bringing a new set of fans to Test cricket. We want to leave a mark.”

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Continue Reading

Sports

Exclusive: PBA Player of Week Ato Ular continues solid showing for Blackwater – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

Ato Ular Blackwater PBA

#PBA #Player #Week #Ato #Ular #continues #solid #showing #Blackwater

Ato Ular Blackwater PBA

Blackwater rookie Ato Ular during a game against Terrafirma in the 2022 PBA Philippine Cup. PBA IMAGES

MANILA, Philippines–Blackwater’s early success in this PBA season is largely due to the steady play of its rookie Ato Ular.

Ular has been a huge revelation for the Bossing, who have won four out of their five games so far in the 2022 Philippine Cup.

A second-round pick, Ular may just be the biggest steal of the draft averaging 14.4 points on 57 percent shooting from the field and 7.2 rebounds.

He played his best game yet on Thursday, helping Blackwater stun Meralco, 90-89, delivering 19 points and 15 rebounds.

Ular also hit the game-tying basket with under a minute left that paved the way for Baser Amer’s last-second winner.

His performance certainly didn’t go unnoticed as he was named Cignal Play-PBA Press Corps Player of the Week.

“I already prepare hard every game. I always arrive on the court very early, shooting and working out. I always see to it that I’m ready,” Ular said in Filipino.

The 6-foot-4 forward out of Letran is the first rookie to receive Player of the Week honor this season.

Advertisement

Ular edged TNT’s Mikey Williams, San Miguel Beer’s CJ Perez and other candidates for the weekly citation.

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox


Read Next

Advertisement
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


Continue Reading

Exclusive

Copyright © 2022 Talk Of News.