Connect with us

Entertainment

Exclusive: The Staircase’s Michael Peterson Attacks HBO Series and Documentary Director

Published

on

The Staircase’s Michael Peterson Attacks HBO Series and Documentary Director

#Staircases #Michael #Peterson #Attacks #HBO #Series #Documentary #Director

Since The Staircase premiered on HBO Max last month, the dramatized series starring Colin Firth has made headlines, sometimes for the wrong reasons. First, French filmmaker Jean-Xavier de Lestrade—who was responsible for the lauded true-crime docuseries on which HBO’s series is based—told Vanity Fair that he felt personally “betrayed” by Antonio Campos, the director who adapted de Lestrade’s Peabody-winning work for the premium streamer. De Lestrade, who had opened up his archives to Campos, felt blindsided by scenes suggesting that he manipulated story lines while producing his long-reputed documentary series.

Then the docuseries’ editor, Sophie Brunet, told Vanity Fair that Campos made her a character in his HBO adaptation against her wishes. Not only that, but she claimed that Campos’s depiction of her undermined her professionalism.

And now Michael Peterson himself—the subject of the original docuseries, played by Firth in the adaptation—has weighed in on HBO Max’s controversial series in a profanity-laden email to Variety. Rather than simply point fingers at Campos or HBO Max, Peterson seemingly takes the greatest issue with de Lestrade, who agreed to collaborate on the adaptation in the first place.

“I have read about Jean de Lestrade’s sense of betrayal by Antonio Campos and HBO Max’s presentation of The Staircase, but what has been forgotten or overlooked or simply ignored is his betrayal of me and my family,” wrote Peterson in an email to Variety that was published Thursday, the same day HBO Max released its final episode of The Staircase. “We feel that Jean pimped us out—sold OUR story to Campos for money—what word other than pimped describes what he did? He released his archive to Campos who then created a fictional account of events, most of which trashed me (which I really don’t care about) and my children—which I really do care about. There are egregious fabrications and distortions of the truth in the HBO series, well beyond what may be considered ‘artistic’ license.”

“But we didn’t sell our story to Campos—were never even consulted or informed that Jean had done this,” continued Peterson. “We are the ones who were betrayed, falsely depicted as fighting among ourselves (which NEVER happened), and with made up story lines that denigrate all of us in the eyes of millions. It is disingenuous and hypocritical for Jean to talk about his integrity being challenged when he sold himself to Campos and showed no integrity or sense of responsibility to us. He is the individual responsible for what happened to us, and while I am sorely pissed at Campos for all the liberties he took with the truth (and for stealing from my book Behind the Staircase—the only source for his prison scenes, and for which I of course was not compensated), I am angrier at Jean who should have had our interests in mind when he sold our story. I have no sympathy for him, any more than I would for a hooker who contracted an STD after peddling her ass.”

In a crude flourish, the author added, “Jean should have known that when you sell your ass/property, you assume the risk of getting fucked/betrayed.”

In a separate interview, de Lestrade told Variety that he felt he was safeguarding the adaptation process by helping Campos.

“I thought that it would be better to cooperate, and be involved in the process, than to stay totally outside as a stranger,” he said. “In a way I thought I was protecting Michael and his family by being involved, but I was wrong.”

Peterson has stayed under the radar throughout the run of HBO Max’s The Staircase. But the author revealed to Variety that he would be at New York’s Tribeca Film Festival over the weekend for the premiere of a documentary titled Subject, which tackles the topic of ethics in documentaries.

Advertisement

As a participant in the film, Peterson explained, “I intend to bring up the matter of documentarians’ ethic in selling their documentary to others who might exploit them, as Antonio and HBO did to us.”

Entertainment

Exclusive: Miriam Margolyes says she told a young Leonardo DiCaprio to 'wash more' as he was 'smelly' – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

#Miriam #Margolyes #told #young #Leonardo #DiCaprio #039wash #more039 #039smelly039

British-Australian actress Miriam Margolyes is known for not shying away from the truth, and once again, she has been extremely honest in an interview – and this time, Hollywood heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio was unwittingly in the line of fire.

The 81-year-old star, who played Professor Pomona Sprout in the Harry Potter film franchise, left both the viewers and the hosts of ITV’s This Morning in hysterics as she recalled working with the Titanic actor, who she said was “smelly.” Watch above.

“He was a bit smelly because it was very hot in Mexico and I think young boys, and he was very young at the time, they don’t make themselves fragrant, they don’t wash all the bits!” Margolyes told hosts Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield of working with DiCaprio on Baz Luhrmann‘s 1996 adaptation of Romeo + Juliet.

READ MORE: Reality TV star Yazmin Oukhellou injured, boyfriend killed in horror crash

Miriam Margolyes on This Morning
Miriam Margolyes recalled working with Leonardo DiCaprio on Romeo + Juliet on ITV’s This Morning. (ITV)

“I don’t think he washed for weeks,” Margolyes continued. “And after a while, you notice it.”

Margolyes played Juliet’s nurse in the film, while DiCaprio was playing Romeo, a role that is largely considered his breakout before Titanic projected him to global stardom.

It was revealed in the interview that some time later, Margolyes met up again with DiCaprio and “he smelt a lot better.”

READ MORE: Still coughing after COVID? There are four reasons why

Advertisement
Miriam Margolyes and Claire Danes
Margolyes, pictured here with Claire Danes as Juliet, played Juliet’s nurse in Romeo + Juliet (1996). (20th Century Fox)
Leonardo DiCaprio
DiCaprio caught Hollywood and the world’s eye when he played Romeo in Romeo + Juliet. (20th Century Fox)

“He’s fragrant now,” she said. “He’s lovely, and he’s a very nice man. A generous sweetheart.”

Margolyes, who was on the show to promote her memoir This Much Is True, also recalled shopping with DiCaprio when they worked together.

“We loved shopping together, but I kept saying to him, you know, ‘Have a wash, just get clean,’” she laughed.

READ MORE: Harry and Meghan’s solo walk into cathedral ‘raised eyebrows’ within palace

Margolyes, pictured here with Daniel Radcliffe, is known for playing Professor Sprout in the film series. (PA Images via Getty Images)

It wasn’t just DiCaprio that Margolyes advised about personal hygiene, she revealed on live national television.

In fact, behind-the-scenes of This Morning, Margolyes says she told a production assistant called Dylan that he had to “wash every bit,” a revelation that left Willoughby hiding her face behind her hands.

“Strangely, Dylan’s just handed his notice in,” Schofield quipped as he laughed.

Twitter erupted with praise for the interview, with many branding Margolyes a national treasure.

“I downed tools today to stop and watch her interview and she had me laughing instantly,” one user wrote.

“And once again my face and ribs are sore…oh I’d love to go to the pub with Miriam 🤣🤣,” another said.

Another viewer wrote: “I love Miriam! So unfiltered but generous of heart, we all should have a Miriam in our lives ❤️”

For a daily dose of 9Honey, subscribe to our newsletter here

Advertisement
For the past decade, audiences around the world have watched Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint transform from unknown child actors to bonafide movie stars, commanding millions per movie. <br/><br/>MovieFIX looks at the physical transformations of the three lead <i>Harry Potter</i> stars, and where we'll see them next.

Harry Potter stars: then and now!


Continue Reading

Entertainment

Exclusive: Police Arrest Suspect In 4th Of July Parade Shooting Outside Chicago – Update – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

Police Arrest Suspect In 4th Of July Parade Shooting Outside Chicago – Update

#Police #Arrest #Suspect #4th #July #Parade #Shooting #Chicago #Update

UPDATED with arrest, 4:55 PM: Police have arrested a person of interest in the horrific Fourth shooting at a Fourth of July Parade near Chicago. Highland Park Police Chief Lou Jogmen said in a news conference that officers initiated a traffic stop of the subject and “that subject did flee. A brief pursuit went on. Ultimately they were able to get the subject stopped … in Lake Forest. The subject was taken into custody without incident.”

Jogman reiterated that “things are moving very quickly, as they do unfortunately.”

Parade Shooting Person Of Interest Is Chicago-Area Rapper; Videos Have Shooting Imagery

The person of interest was en route the the Highland Park Police Department, “where we going to begin the next phase of the investigation.”

PREVIOUSLY, 2:50 PM: The chief of police for Highland park, IL identified a “person of interest” in the mass shooting that took place there today, killing six people and wounding 25. The man’s name is Robert E. Crimo III, 22. Crimo is reportedly a Highland Park local. He is said to be “armed and dangerous.” There is currently a massive manhunt being conducted in the local area by law enforcement.

Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker issued a statement indicating, “My staff and I are closely monitoring the situation in Highland Park. State police are on the scene and we have made all state resources available to the community. We will continue working with local officials to help those affected.

PREVIOUSLY, 2:30 p.m.: Officials at a hospital in Highland Park, Illinois updated the country late this afternoon on casualties related to a mass shooting at a parade today outside Chicago.

Twenty-five people were admitted to the hospital as a result of the incident with gunshot wounds. They ranged in age from 8 to 85, according to officials, who also noted that “four or five” of them were children. Of those 25 people shot, 19 released.

The local communities of Glencoe, Evanston, Deerfield and many more have canceled their 4th of July events as a result, according to NBC5 Chicago. The outlet also reported that Six Flags Great America has canceled its fireworks display and will close at 8 p.m. tonight “out of an abundance of caution.”

Advertisement

The Chicago White Sox canceled their fireworks show that was scheduled to follow a game against the Minnesota Twins tonight, and indicted that a moment of silence would be held for the victims before the game.

PREVIOUSLY, 12:30 p.m.: Five of the six people killed in the Highland Park parade shooting were adults and died at the scene, city officials said during a press briefing at 3:30 p.m. Chicago time. A sixth person was pronounced dead at a hospital; information on that victim was not disclosed.

A fire department official said at least one of the more than two dozen injured in the shooting transported to a hospital was a child.

Police officials said that “significant progress” is being made in the investigation into the shooter, with a “very active apprehension effort” in place. The suspect was not in custody at the time of the briefing.

The parade has been canceled.

Earlier this afternoon, President Joe Biden has released the following statement in response to the Highland Park shooting:

Jill and I are shocked by the senseless gun violence that has yet again brought grief to an American community on this Independence Day. As always, we are grateful for the first responders and law enforcement on the scene. I have spoken to Governor Pritzker and Mayor Rotering, and have offered the full support of the Federal government to their communities. I also urged Federal law enforcement to assist in the urgent search for the shooter, who remains at large at this time. Members of the community should follow guidance from leadership on the ground, and I will monitor closely as we learn more about those whose lives have been lost and pray for those who are in the hospital with grievous injuries.

I recently signed the first major bipartisan gun reform legislation in almost thirty years into law, which includes actions that will save lives. But there is much more work to do, and I’m not going to give up fighting the epidemic of gun violence.

Illinois Governor JB Pritzker also issued a statement saying, in part, that “grief will not bring the victims back, and prayers alone will not put a stop to the terror of rampant gun violence in our country. I will stand firm will Illinoisans and Americans: we must – and we will – end this plague of gun violence”

PREVIOUSLY: A Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, outside Chicago, has left six people dead and multiple injuries, according to officials. At least 24 people have been hospitalized with serious injuries.

Advertisement

Police are still searching for the gunman, according to city officials. Chris Covelli of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office said the shooting “appears to be completely random” Law enforcement officials are urging people downtown to shelter in place.

At a press conference just before 1 p.m. Chicago time, Covelli described the suspected shooter as a white male, 18-20 years old, longer black hair, small build, wearing a white or blue t-shirt.

A rifle was retrieved at the scene, but the suspect should still be considered armed and dangerous. Covelli described the weapon as a “high-powered rifle.”

Police are asking parade spectators to review their cellphones for video and photos that might provide clues and to contact police with the information. Covelli said the FBI is assisting in the investigation and search for the suspect.

Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering,“On a day that we came together to celebrate community and freedom, we’re instead mourning the loss, the tragic loss, of life, and struggling with the terror that was brought upon us,”

Officials said there is no indication that the shooter, who apparently fired from a nearby roof, is barricaded in the immediate area.

A message on the city’s official Facebook page says, “SHELTER IN PLACE. Highland Park Police are responding to an incident in downtown Highland Park. All 4th of July events have been canceled. Please avoid downtown Highland Park. Take shelter if in downtown HP. “

Shots began firing within 10 minutes after the parade commenced at 10 a.m. CT today. As of this report, the shooter remains at large.

Nearby towns including Deerfield, Ill. have canceled their own official Fourth of July activities.

“I grew up in Highland Park and this parade is a highlight of the year for so many families,” tweeted actor Rachel Brosnahan. “I’m sick to my stomach every time news like this comes out, but I don’t wish the pit in your stomach as you call your family and friends to make sure everyone is okay on anyone. No words.”

Erik Pedersen and City News Service contributed to this report.


Continue Reading

Entertainment

Exclusive: Travis Barker Receives Flowers From Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble After Hospitalization – TalkOfNews.com

Published

on

By

Travis Barker Receives Flowers From Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble After Hospitalization

#Travis #Barker #Receives #Flowers #Kris #Jenner #Corey #Gamble #Hospitalization

Travis Barker is on the road to recovery. 

Less than a week after being admitted to the hospital for pancreatitis, it appears the Blink-182 drummer is back at home. Travis seemingly confirmed the news on July 4 while sharing an image to his Instagram Story of flowers he received from mother-in-law Kris Jenner and her boyfriend Corey Gamble.

“Dearest Travis,” a note attached to the flowers read, “Get well soon!!!! We love you.” Travis captioned the photo, which appeared to be taken at his residence in Calabasas, Calif., with a “thank you” to the couple.

On July 3, Travis’ wife Kourtney Kardashian hinted that he’d been released from the hospital by posting a photo from inside his vintage convertible. That same day, Travis shared a picture to his own Instagram Story, showing a basket filled with board games, including Battleship, Monopoly and Operation.

E! News confirmed on June 28 that Travis was brought by ambulance to a Los Angeles hospital. On July 2, Travis shared details on his health journey on social media. 


Continue Reading

Exclusive

Copyright © 2022 Talk Of News.