Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier: UFC 257 fight date, UK start time, full fight card, latest odds and how to watch Fight Island showdown
Conor McGregor is back under the lights this weekend as he takes on old rival Dustin Poirier at UFC 257. McGregor returns to the Octagon for the first time in a year to rematch Poirier, despite announcing his retirement for the third time in 2020. ‘The Notorious’ breezed past Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone last January in […]
Conor McGregor is back under the lights this weekend as he takes on old rival Dustin Poirier at UFC 257.
McGregor returns to the Octagon for the first time in a year to rematch Poirier, despite announcing his retirement for the third time in 2020.
‘The Notorious’ breezed past Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone last January in just 40 seconds in his comeback bout following his dramatic defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.
Poirier also lost to Khabib, in 2019, but has claimed a number of fine wins since his defeat to McGregor in their first meeting in 2014 and is a much-improved fighter now.
McGregor vs Poirier: Date and start time
- This fight is set to headline UFC 257 on Saturday, January 23
- It will take place at the Etihad Arena on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi with 2,000 fans in attendance
- The early prelims start from 11.30pm UK time on Saturday, the prelims 1am and then the main card from 3am
- McGregor and Poirier are set to take to the ring at around 5am on Sunday morning UK time
McGregor vs Poirier: TV and live stream
- This event will be pay-per-view in the UK and is being shown on BT Sport Box Office
- Box office coverage starts from 1am on Sunday morning
- It will cost £19.95 and can be purchased through the BT Player, on BT Sport’s website or their app
- The prelims are available to watch for free on BT Sport 1 from 1am-3am via this live stream or on the BT Sport app
- In the US, the event will be live on ESPN+.
BETTING SPECIAL: Get McGregor to win any time at 20/1* New William Hill customers | Mobile only | 18+| UK and Ireland |T&Cs
McGregor vs Poirier: What has been said?
McGregor has vowed to put on a show when he finally gets back inside the octagon, tweeting in early January: “I promise a masterpiece,” while adding he will make light work of his lightweight opponent, predicting it will be over in 60 seconds.
And if McGregor puts on a show and is ultimately successful, then a rematch against Khabib Nurmagomedov could be next.
“You can say whatever you want, but Conor McGregor vs Khabib is a massive fight,” UFC president Dana White said.
“And if Conor wins in spectacular fashion, it would be harder to say he doesn’t deserve the shot.”
Poirier, though, is a different man to the one he faced six years ago.
“I don’t know how that plays out now in the fight, but it’s definitely interesting,” White commented.
“You can’t look at the first fight and go, ‘Oh, this is exactly the way that’s gonna go again.’ Because it won’t.”
McGregor vs Poirier: What is the purse?
Former two-weight champion McGregor is the highest-paid fighter in UFC history.
He banked more than £23million for his first-round knockout win over Donald Cerrone in January.
And he’s expected to take home the lion’s share of the purse against Poirier.
The purse for the upcoming bout is not yet known but is thought to be around £10m and Mac has vowed to donate a chunk of it to charity.
McGregor v Poirier: Fight card
- MAIN EVENT: Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier, Lightweight
- Dan Hooker vs. Michael Chandler, Lightweight
- Jessica Eye vs. Joanne Calderwood, Women’s Flyweight
- Matt Frevola vs. Ottman Azaitar, Lightweight
- Marina Rodriguez vs. Amanda Ribas, Women’s Strawweight
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. Arman Tsarukyan, Lightweight
- Brad Tavares vs. Antonio Carlos Junior, Middleweight
- Julianna Pena vs. Sara McMann, Women’s Bantamweight
- Khalil Rountree Jr. vs. Marcin Prachnio, Light Heavyweight
- Andrew Sanchez vs. Makhmud Muradov, Middleweight
- Movsar Evloev vs. Nik Lentz, Catchweight
- Amir Albazi vs. Zhalgas Zhumagulov, Flyweight
McGregor v Poirier: Latest odds
Conor McGregor: 3/10
Dustin Poirier: 5/2
McGregor v Poirier: Tale of the tape
Conor McGregor – Dustin Poirier
Age: 32 – 31
Nationality: Irish – American
Height: 5ft 9 (175cm) – 5ft 9 (175cm)
Weight: 170lb (77kg) – 155lb (70kg)
Reach: 74 in (188 cm) – 72 in (183 cm)
Record: 22/4 – 26/6
Knockouts/Submissions: 20 – 19
Last fight: Beat Donald Cerrone – Beat Dan Hooker
Taking one of the bookmaker offers featured in this article may result in a payment to talkSPORT. 18+. T&Cs apply. Begambleaware.org
*Terms and conditions: 18+. Play Safe. New customers using EPM20. Mobile only. Applies to bets placed from 09:00 on 15 January 2021 until 05:00 on 24 January 2021. Max £1 bet at 20/1. Returns paid as 4 x £5 free bets (30 day expiry). Player & currency restrictions & terms apply. Begambleaware.org
Remember to gamble responsibly
A responsible gambler is someone who:
- Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
- Never chase their losses
- Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
- Gamcare- www.gamcare.org.uk
- Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org